PDA

View Full Version : Favorite authors / books

FISHDAWG
11-14-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm sure a lot of us read about hunting & fishing ... just wanted to share my favorite. The author is Peter Hathaway Capstick . He left a wall street firm at a young age and became a professional hunter - some in South America but mostly spent the rest of his life in Africa ... the guys style is sort of like Bob Brister but with a little more humor (doesn't mind telling on himself) and much more violent game... he has several books out but my two favorites are "Death in the Long Grass" & "Death in the Silent Places" with "Death on the Dark Continent" coming in a close third.
If you enjoy reading (non-fiction) and aren't even a hunter I would highly recommend any of his books.... and since I have read all of them, I am now looking for some other author to step forward ......... any suggestions ?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-14-2013, 11:24 AM
My personal favorite is Robert Hitt Neill: http://roberthittneill.com/ I've read his books "The Jakes" and "The Flaming Turkey" and I loved them. They're about a group of close knit teens and the life stories they make as they grow up. Don't expect an epic novel because it's very easy to read, but it's definitely entertaining. I think all of us could find a character to relate to in the book.

BeastMan
11-14-2013, 11:58 AM
It's only wildlife photography but I'm a Joe Mac Hudspeth fan.

rdnkkicker
11-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Really old and not necessarily hunting, but most of James Feninire Cooper's stuff is amazing. He wrote The Last of the Mohicans and The Leatherstocking series. I highly recommend The Deerslayer.

SpeckleDawg
11-14-2013, 08:16 PM
It's only wildlife photography but I'm a Joe Mac Hudspeth fan.

We have one of his books on the coffee table. Great pictures for sure.