PDA

View Full Version : Balvenie Doublewood and lessers

FlabLoser
10-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Forgot to mention my favorite bang/buck scotch, Balvenie Doublewood.

http://us.thebalvenie.com/our-range/doublewood-aged-12-years

This stuff is aged in two different kinds of wood casks. It spends part of its life in oak. At some point is transferred into a sherry cask. The results is really tasty.

It runs about $50. It is a hell of a lot more than half as good as Macallan 15 which costs twice as much. So I figure that's pretty high on the bang/buck scale.

My well scotch is Glenmorangie Original, which is a 10 year scotch. It passes my deal-killer litmus test of not having any peat in it. Its pretty good. At $40, I'm really not sure if I prefer this over my favorite scotch-like bourbon, Woodford Reserve, which is only a few bucks less.

The only cheaper scotch I'll drink is Jameson and its just OK. I'll still take it when I get tired of good whiskeys and burbons.

BeastMan
10-17-2013, 09:01 PM
I had to open this thread b/c I had no idea what it meant. Shoulda figured fancy scotch

Bullmutt
10-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Flab, are you saying you do or do not like peat? I like it alot and thus prefer the Islays generally . Lagavulin's my favorite but has finally managed to outraise the capacity of my wallet. I've always thought Laphroiag to have too heavy an iodine characteristic but recently found an offering from them called "Quarter Cask" which reins that in pretty well and drinks pretty well for under $60. If you like the peaty style, give it a try.

FlabLoser
10-18-2013, 06:20 PM
That's right, I can't stand the peat. I figure people either love or hate peat. I tried some Laphroiag and felt like I was drinking soap. Same with Johnny Walker Black.

SheltonChoked
10-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Best drinking thing I ever did at MSU was go into Corky's and buy the classic malts of scotland sampler. It has an airplane (50 ml) bottle of each of the scotchmaking regions. (Higland, Lowland, Speyside, Islay, Campbeltown) It let me know what I like and what I dont for each region and what to ask for. I like Islay, and Lowland and some Highland. I dont like speyside. It depends on my mood for Campbletown)

I second the Balvenie Doublewood. That's my guest scotch. My personal is Lagavulin.

Also, it was great watching cold weather baseball water.

Political Hack
10-30-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm primarily a highlands guy. Love the Morangie 10.

Love the Mac 18, but that's serious dough. I'll buy a glass at a restaurant but I won't drop $180 on a bottle. I like the balvenie 18 and the highland park 18.

Sometimes I'll be in the mood for peat and when I am I go fill throttle with the Laphroiag.

Political Hack
10-30-2013, 04:23 PM
scothchy scotch scotch... good to my belly...