PDA

View Full Version : Pitching

msstate7
04-14-2013, 12:31 AM
I really like how our baseball team is playing right now. I do have a concern though. Our pitching depth was supposed to be our biggest strength, but I think it's a weakness. In a regional, we'd have to stay in the winners bracket because we only have 3 starters right now that we can depend on. We need a 4th starter to step up if we're gonna make a run.

Todd4State
04-14-2013, 11:05 AM
We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I like our chances with Woodruff or Evan Mitchell against a non-SEC number 3 or 4.

CadaverDawg
04-14-2013, 11:12 AM
I really like how our baseball team is playing right now. I do have a concern though. Our pitching depth was supposed to be our biggest strength, but I think it's a weakness. In a regional, we'd have to stay in the winners bracket because we only have 3 starters right now that we can depend on. We need a 4th starter to step up if we're gonna make a run.

I agree with you, but most teams only have 2-3 guys they can truly "depend" on right now to get them a victory.At least we have the possibility of throwing Evan Mitchell, Brandon Woodruff, Trevor Fitts, Will Cox, CT Bradford, Shelly, Gentry, etc. if we are faced with having to play through a loser's bracket. While many of those haven't proven to be "go-to guys", they are still far better options than our opponents probably have in that same scenario. Does that make sense?

In other words, If we are having to play a 4th game in 4 days....I like our above options as a "pitch by committee" over pretty much any other team in the SEC. We still have great depth if it's needed, and can keep a short hook til we find the hot hand in that bullpen.

CadaverDawg
04-14-2013, 11:13 AM
We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I like our chances with Woodruff or Evan Mitchell against a non-SEC number 3 or 4.

Beat me to it.

mic
04-14-2013, 11:21 AM
you piece together ur rotation if we get in that situation.. The X factor is Ross Mitchell.. been lights out for us. If not for him and Pollo we wouldnt be where we are today. He has also shown he can go 6+ innings if we need him too.. If he wasnt so valuable for us out of the pen with his role he has he could be a weekend starter..

missouridawg
04-14-2013, 12:02 PM
you piece together ur rotation if we get in that situation.. The X factor is Ross Mitchell.. been lights out for us. If not for him and Pollo we wouldnt be where we are today. He has also shown he can go 6+ innings if we need him too.. If he wasnt so valuable for us out of the pen with his role he has he could be a weekend starter..

2 years from now, we're really going to miss Ross Mitchell. That guys has been invaluable his first season and a half. He eats up a TON of quality innings out of the pen.

msstate7
04-14-2013, 12:23 PM
2 years from now, we're really going to miss Ross Mitchell. That guys has be invaluable his first season and a half. He eats up a TON of quality innings out of the pen.

He always seems to pitch well. That's saying something when you think of the tough situations he gets put it time after time