PDA

View Full Version : Berkley Gulp plastics

BeastMan
10-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Ive been hooked on this bait lately. My bass fishing buddies love it. I've like the shrimp for my saltwater use. They do make a gulp "alive" bait that is considerably more expensive than the regular gulp plastics. Has anyone had any experience with the "alive" line of gulp?

Barking 13
10-10-2013, 11:00 AM
I refuse to put any of the gulp products in my boat.. they make me want to vomit.... to back track a little, I got some on a promotional deal when they first came out. They melted in one of my tackle bags and got all over everything.. almost didn't get the smell out, in fact I had to throw away that $100+ bag... don't care for powerbait either... If I can't catch 'em without it, there ain't no point in me going...

on a side note, Netbait (paca craws) anise smell makes me hungry...;)

BeastMan
10-10-2013, 01:05 PM
How long did it take to melt and do you keep your tackle box/bag outdoors? I've never had that issue but I keep my tackle in my closet when its not fishing.

Barking 13
10-10-2013, 01:11 PM
it was in the dry storage of my boat.. probably took a coupls weeks... DO NOT get them wet!!!! Some folks swear by them, but I can't take the smell..

BeastMan
10-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Ah I see. Since they have that smell, I leave them in their bags, sealed in my soft tackle box. But I really leave all my plastics in their bags if they're sealable.

My main reason to post the question is b/c of the "alive" product line. For example, the regular gulp shrimp bag is like $6 and has 5 or 6 plastics. The alive line comes in a plastic jar and they're in a liquid. I think there are closer to 10 plastics in the jar but it cost like $20. It's considerably more expensive.

I'm curious how they fish b/c they could be economical if they really do fish as well as live or bait shrimp. When I've got a few guys w/me and we get 100 live shrimp, 2 lbs bait shrimp, and maybe a few croakers/cockaho, we're talking $50ish on bait. If the alive line was as good as touted, it could be worth it.

Barking 13
10-10-2013, 01:50 PM
could be.. I'm not up on S/W fishing (not much opportunity).... I used to love going to my uncle's place in Mobile and gigging flounders, and bay fishing and such when I was a kid.

and BTW, the gulps were in the bag when they melted and somehow leaked out of the bag... could have been some that were like first run and hadn't been perfected yet or something... but I still can't stand the smell...

There must be another fourmulation on that Alive series because everything I've seen is when they get wet, they melt...

State82
10-10-2013, 07:46 PM
I don't have much experience with the gulp line of plastics but I know they are biodegradable, so they will "melt" slowly when they get wet. I do like the original Powerbait plastics, especially the 10" worms for T-rigging deeper water, but just have not used the gulp line much at all.

Natedogg33
10-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Beastman, I've never used much of the Gulp Alive, but have used the regular Gulp shrimp. Best I can tell is they will eat it but it doesn't hold up well. They'll tear up after one fish, or a short strike will bite it in half. I personally don't see an advantage over live bait.

BeastMan
10-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Beastman, I've never used much of the Gulp Alive, but have used the regular Gulp shrimp. Best I can tell is they will eat it but it doesn't hold up well. They'll tear up after one fish, or a short strike will bite it in half. I personally don't see an advantage over live bait.

Thats been my holdup. Lately I've been using dead shrimp under a popping cork almost exclusively from the boat or kayak. I've been using the gulp plastics when I wade fish b/c its easier for me to deal with b/c they get bites and less trash fish than dead shrimp. I don't mind fooling with the trash fish from a boat but when i'm waist deep in water I try to keep it simple.

I've had more bites with the gulp shrimp than the doa shrimp. I used voodoo (the hottest bait this summer) on a guided trip but they were hitting a basic b2 squid better.

I appreciate the feedback

SnakePlissken
10-11-2013, 09:45 AM
These aren't gulp and they aren't cheap but this is what I plan to pick up over the winter and use next spring - Savage Gear TPE shrimp
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewicast13savagegear.html