PDA

View Full Version : Hosting Scenarios

CadaverDawg
04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Well guys, we have 6 SEC series left, we're 5-7, and most think we have to be 15-15 or 16-14 at minimum to have a shot at hosting. With that being said, do you think we get there? If so, where do the wins come from?

@Texas A&M

Auburn

@Vandy

Alabama

@Ole Miss

South Carolina

I think we win 2 at A&M, 3 vs Auburn, 1 at Vandy, 2 vs Bama, 1 at Ole Miss, and 2 vs South Carolina....finishing at 16-14.

I could easily see us losing 1 to Auburn or losing 2 of 3 at home to USC to end the season. South Carolina typically heats up later in the year. I see 14-16 at worst, 17-13 at very best.

We have nobody to blame but ourselves if we come up a game or two shy of hosting though. We have given away a game in every SEC series to this point.

Coach34
04-08-2013, 10:09 PM
LSU, UPig, and Vandy are locks to host- which probably leaves one more spot

We've got to find a way to win 5 of 6 from A&M and Auburn- making us 10-8
Get one @ Vandy- 11-10
At least 2 vs Bammer- 13-11
We can win 2 @OM...they have little left after Wahl- 15-12
The SC series could be the deciding factor in who hosts- need to win 2- 17-13

17-13 with our RPI and a series win over SC should lock us up

engie
04-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Yep. Going to take 16-14 or 17-13 most likely. I don't see 15-15 doing it with UK and South Carolina(as well as Arky) likely to be better than that. Arky is a curious case because their RPI is terrible. They probably need to win 20 in the SEC to even get close to having an acceptable RPI to host, which is certainly possible with what they've got coming up.

I could see us winning the aTm, Auburn, Bama, OM series. Then we likely lose the Vandy series and I think we win the South Carolina series at home to end the season(we heat up late too -- and the walking mental/confidence edge that was Ray Tanner is no longer in their dugout -- If you ever talk to him, you would know what I mean). The extent to which we win those series(2 of 3 vs sweeping) will make all the difference.

A sweep this weekend would put us in the driver's seat with Auburn coming to town for SBW and the pitching staff FINALLY back at 100% for the first time all season(I'm projecting that Woodruff is good in the Governor's Cup and starts the Thursday night game vs Auburn). We really need to win those 6 to be back in the driver's seat heading to Nashville -- but either way, as long as we FINALLY get the pitching staff to clicking on all cylinders, we're going to be a tough out going forward.

Hard to project exactly what we need to do to host because no two committees are ever consistent in their criteria. But I'll tell you what we need to happen -- need the wheels to fall off for Va Tech, NC State, Indiana, Notre Dame, and all the other projected regional hosts(not national seeds)...

Todd4State
04-09-2013, 01:17 AM
In an odd way, LT trying to screw us with the schedule may end up helping us because our RPI and SOS will be way up there. We are going to have zero bad losses this year unless we lose to Oral Roberts at home and maybe Memphis- and even that is a borderline bad loss and is a road game for us.

IF our pitching staff is Woodruff and he is right, Graveman, and Lindgren- we can pretty much match up with anybody in the SEC. The only series I don't feel that good about is Vandy and that's mainly because it's on the road. We should win the Sunday game though- and if we can win one of two over Beede and Ziomenck we stand a better than average chance of winning that series. As bad as our offense has been, we've still managed to go 2-1 against MLB.com top 50 draft prospects (beat Crawford and Staneck and lost to Eades.)

If we can somehow win that Vanderbilt series and take care of business with the rest of the SEC series and non-conference we MIGHT be able to leapfrog Vanderbilt.

Another thing is the SEC Tournament games are going to be counted more this year- the good thing is we have a deep enough staff IF they are all healthy of course to make a run again and match up. If LSU sweeps Arkansas, I think it would help us out a lot.

State82
04-09-2013, 12:59 PM
I think we finish 15-15 but that won't do it. 16-14 might, and I could see that possibly happening but I could also see us dropping below .500. 14-16 would be a monumental disappointment, but we have let too many slip away early on with an already killer schedule, and I would not be shocked if that happened. Speaking of killer schedule, I was told this weekend that the scheduling was done this year with some type of lottery-style selection, but I don't know how it is going to rotate around from here on out.

Spider-Man
04-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Just win baby win. If we finish 17-13 or 18-12, I think we are a lock to host with our SOS.

PMDawg
04-09-2013, 03:41 PM
What about 15-15 and win the SECT again?

ComradeDawg
04-09-2013, 03:54 PM
LSU, UPig, and Vandy are locks to host- which probably leaves one more spot

We've got to find a way to win 5 of 6 from A&M and Auburn- making us 10-8
Get one @ Vandy- 11-10
At least 2 vs Bammer- 13-11
We can win 2 @OM...they have little left after Wahl- 15-12
The SC series could be the deciding factor in who hosts- need to win 2- 17-13

17-13 with our RPI and a series win over SC should lock us up

I think this is dead on. Pisses me off that we couldn't get two more games out of the last 4 SEC series. 1 game from UK and 1 game from Arky and this picture looks a shit ton brigther....

WPDawg
04-09-2013, 05:22 PM
If we are good enough to potentially compete in a college world series, then going 12-6 over the remainder of the SEC schedule is not a stretch. If we dont perform that well, then we werent as good as everyone hoped. Still short a couple of good bats to be where we would like to be. Maybe the kids can continue to improve against SEC caliber pitching and the clutch hits will start to accumulate. Would rather be getting hot now and finish strong so it's all in front of them now to accomplish the goal of hosting. just gotta perform.

Political Hack
04-09-2013, 09:04 PM
If we win 2 of the 3 series between Vandy, SC, and OM we could have a chance.