PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Pitch on Sunday (and can they get out of the 1st inning)?

The Croom Diaries
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I wrote 1,000 words on it and attached a poll if you care to read it, but who should start on Sunday provided Lindgren is unable to go?

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/4/3/4179752/who-should-pitch-on-sunday-and-can-they-get-out-of-the-1st-inning

Will James
04-03-2013, 03:18 PM
The most important thing is "Win Today".

theloungeinleft
04-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Not saying he should start Sunday, but Mitchell is going to have to get some innings sooner or later. I would like to think he is way too talented to give up on him. However, it doesn't help that our midweek games are no joke either.

The Croom Diaries
04-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I wish Evan could be 'effectively wild' instead of just flat wild. He's tough to hit and could be a real asset. I'd almost be surprised if we see him in any meaningful innings again this year. He needs to get right over the summer and come back for a solid senior year.

CadaverDawg
04-03-2013, 03:42 PM
I wish Evan could be 'effectively wild' instead of just flat wild. He's tough to hit and could be a real asset. I'd almost be surprised if we see him in any meaningful innings again this year. He needs to get right over the summer and come back for a solid senior year.

Evan is the type of guy that if placed in the rotation he can't get out of the 2nd inning....but then throw him out there to start the last game of the SEC tournament, and he has the stuff to throw a complete game and win the SEC for you. The guy has like 19 walks already this year in limited innings, but the crazy thing is, he still has more strikeouts than walks with like 22. It's unreal how he can go from striking a guy out on 3 pitches looking dominant against 1 hitter, and then walk the next guy on 4 straight. He is the definition of a headcase. Wish we could get him to snap out of it, but it ain't looking good.

Todd4State
04-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Great article first of all.

In my opinion, I think Ross Mitchell probably gives us the best chance to win although he is a very valuable option out of the bullpen. I think Trevor Fitts would be my number two option given he pitched pretty well against Arkansas.

I will say this- if we use Ross early in the weekend, it's probably a good sign because it probably means that they feel like Lindgren will start.

As far as Evan Mitchell goes- if I were Cohen, I would probably have Butch work with him as much as possible and maybe look at having him start against Oral Roberts or maybe even Memphis to see if we can get him to rebound.

And as far as Will Cox goes- one key difference between him and the others is he was getting hit rather than walking people. To me, that's better than walking people because it means he is throwing strikes, he's just getting too much of the plate.

Todd4State
04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Evan is the type of guy that if placed in the rotation he can't get out of the 2nd inning....but then throw him out there to start the last game of the SEC tournament, and he has the stuff to throw a complete game and win the SEC for you. The guy has like 19 walks already this year in limited innings, but the crazy thing is, he still has more strikeouts than walks with like 22. It's unreal how he can go from striking a guy out on 3 pitches looking dominant against 1 hitter, and then walk the next guy on 4 straight. He is the definition of a headcase. Wish we could get him to snap out of it, but it ain't looking good.

It's all about concentration with him. Starting pitchers especially have to have it. Concentration to repeat mechanics and concentration to hit the target. He is probably better in 1-2 inning spurts because of that.