PDA

View Full Version : MSU Season Expectation Benchmarks

BeastMan
04-02-2013, 02:38 PM
http://3rdand57.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/msu-season-expectation-benchmarks/

What will it take for you to consider MSU's 2013 season a success?

FISHDAWG
04-02-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm on board with the 8 season wins because I am one of those sheep that think it's very possible ... and for dessert I'll take the Peach Bowl Cobbler .... that would be a satisfying season ... however, the rationale side of me thinks that 7 & 5 is a better expectation ... if so then a signature win should be a part of that somewhere ... and no, I don't think OK-State would be signature

BeastMan
04-02-2013, 02:51 PM
I think OK State would be signature. That would be the best team we have beat in a very long time

FlabLoser
04-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't care what anybody says - Tennessee was good at the time that we beat them last year.

FISHDAWG
04-02-2013, 02:54 PM
it would have been this past season...but everything I hear & read says they should be lower on talent this year and not as competitive ...

BeastMan
04-02-2013, 03:00 PM
it would have been this past season...but everything I hear & read says they should be lower on talent this year and not as competitive ...

They'll be picked by many to win the Big12. And TN at the time wasn't a bad win but they were what? 3-3? Signature win in my mind is a top 10ish victory

Political Hack
04-02-2013, 03:04 PM
LSU this year.

BeastMan
04-02-2013, 03:07 PM
LSU this year.

I'm 29 and I remember beating them once in my lifetime (by that I mean that I remember) and luckily I was there. LSU would definitely be signature since we never beat them and they'll be highly ranked

Political Hack
04-02-2013, 03:11 PM
I think our best chance to beat a top flight team this year is LSU. Okie State would be great, but winning a season opener on a neutral field will fade by week 4. If we lose, it'll sting all season though. The absolute worst scheduling mistake in recent history IMO. Horrendous to schedule Okie St in Texas when we don't know our SEC East schedule yet. Terrible idea.

batDAWGrilla
04-02-2013, 03:15 PM
We HAVE to get to at least 7 wins for me to consider it a good season.

col. forbin
04-02-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm going 8 wins. I think that OSU would be a HUGE win for the program and I believe we can pull it out. I agree that this would be our best chance to beat LSU, but they could put their cheerleaders on the field and we would still get beat.

Raytoraid83
04-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Don't forget about auburn, Malzahn could have that turned around quickly and winning in Jordan hare is never easy. Plus he put together one of the best staffs in the SEC. A 7 win season with an egg bowl victory, you won't find me complaining.

M.Fillmore
04-02-2013, 08:12 PM
I am a big believer in Mullen, but I will be glad to see a 6-6 record and a bowl win for a winning season.

FlabLoser
04-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I think our best chance to beat a top flight team this year is LSU. Okie State would be great, but winning a season opener on a neutral field will fade by week 4. If we lose, it'll sting all season though. The absolute worst scheduling mistake in recent history IMO. Horrendous to schedule Okie St in Texas when we don't know our SEC East schedule yet. Terrible idea.

If we beat OSU, the buzz stays all season unless OSU pulls a Tennessee and finishes not so great.

BTW, the confederates play @Texas. LOLZ

M.Fillmore
04-02-2013, 09:35 PM
BTW, the confederates play @Texas. LOLZ

The Bears will lose by 40 and claim another moral victory.

TopDog58
04-02-2013, 10:24 PM
6-6 is acceptable if we lose the OSU game. To get to that 6th win we'd have to pull an upset. I don't care how bad or good the teams are. Winning at Jordan Hare or in the state of Arkansas, it's an upset.

Win the OSU game, I expect 7 wins or more.

Any of the 4 between @SC, LSU, OSU, @TAMU regardless of their final record is a signature win. Because honestly, if we beat any of them regardless of how good we are, the "experts" will say it's a bad loss for them and they'll be considered down.

Coach34
04-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Less than 6 wins- unacceptable
6 wins- meh, thanks for keeping the streak alive because that is important
7 wins- good season
8 wins- good season
9 or more- great season

PendingTransaction
04-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Less than 6 wins- unacceptable
6 wins- meh, thanks for keeping the streak alive because that is important
7 wins- good season
8 wins- good season
9 or more- great season

Well it we be a great season.

TexasDawg
04-03-2013, 12:42 AM
A successful season would be improvement. To improve we need to win at least 8 games for this season to be a success in my eyes. I believe we will open up with a victory over OSU. The only definite losses to me are Bama and A&M. 8 wins is very reachable

Thick
04-03-2013, 06:36 AM
With our schedule, and being in the west, 7 wins is good, 8 is great, and 9 or more is phenomenal. I'm going with 7 this year.

Political Hack
04-03-2013, 07:32 AM
there's a distinct chance we have a much better football team and still win 1 or 2 fewer games than last season.

dickiedawg
04-03-2013, 07:43 AM
It almost has to include an egg bowl win and definitely has to include a bowl game. Even then I'm not going to be satisfied with the Birmingham bowl or 6 losses.

BeastMan
04-03-2013, 08:08 AM
there's a distinct chance we have a much better football team and still win 1 or 2 fewer games than last season.

That is my #1 fear

Ghost of Hank Flick
04-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Looking at that schedule, we should be underdogs for 7 games (OSU, at Aub, LSU, USC, A&M, Bama and Upig), and possibly 8 depending on how ole miss' schedule goes. Based on Mullen's track record, getting to 6 wins with that schedule looks like the ceiling, but in year 5 he's going to have to do a little better than his track record if he wants to keep us believing he can take us to the next level. If we win 6 I'll probably feel the same about this program as I do now - we are in the process of a slow build. If we win 7 I'll be very excited that we are close to actually taking that next step.

Spider-Man
04-03-2013, 09:59 AM
A successful season would be improvement. To improve we need to win at least 8 games for this season to be a success in my eyes. I believe we will open up with a victory over OSU. The only definite losses to me are Bama and A&M. 8 wins is very reachable

I agree with you somewhat. If we only manage to win 7 in the regular season and are competitive with the big 3 in the West, unlike last year, I will consider it a successful season.