PDA

View Full Version : We finally have SEC size at WR

FlabLoser
04-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Good spring writeup from BeastMan

http://3rdand57.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/thoughts-from-spring-practice/

My biggest complain about our roster, other than being content with only 2 QBs on the roster, is being loaded with sub-6 ft 180 pound type receivers. Go to yahoo sports and browse SEC rosters and everybody else has huge guys at WR.

Its about damn time we did too. We finally have big bodies at WR. Here's to hoping they are fast and skilled enough to look the part in other ways.

Excerpt:

-Our WR core looks completely different. The last few years we looked really small. Rojo is 224, Morrow is 210, Carr is 220, and Malcolm Johnson is 220. When these guys are all lined up we look huge out there. Our guys have gone from small to looking like a stable of running backs. I’m very excited about this group’s athleticism and physicality.

col. forbin
04-01-2013, 11:28 AM
I think we have finally reached the day when a fade in the redzone will be a realistic option.

jumbo
04-01-2013, 11:33 AM
I am really excited about Fred Ross...maybe even more-so than Chris Jones

Coach34
04-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I think we have finally reached the day when a fade in the redzone will be a realistic option.

no shit- I kept waiting for that this past season with Morrow. I figured he could at least do that much

BeastMan
04-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Not just fades but guys that can get off the line and use their physicality to get open. Serious question. Why do y'all think we ran so many 5-8 yard routes last year?

JHdawg
04-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Alot was to do with not being abel to prottext the quarterbacks. So we hasn't enuff time for longer routs good question.

BeastMan
04-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Alot was to do with not being abel to prottext the quarterbacks. So we hasn't enuff time for longer routs good question.

Our protection was fine, actually pretty dang good. Our WR couldn't get off the line and get down field to stretch the defense. Since there was no stretch, there was no space, which meant TR held the ball. That should improve

notjoeleedunn
04-01-2013, 02:15 PM
So what's the mindset behind throw Russell under center more with these guys? Play action? New wrinkle?

Coach34
04-01-2013, 02:20 PM
So what's the mindset behind throw Russell under center more with these guys? Play action? New wrinkle?

More straight ahead running in the running game- more 3 step drops in the passing game to get rid of the ball. Quicker routes- slants immediately come to mind- to keep people from hitting Russell as much.

I like it. It fits Russell much better than the Spread. He isnt a threat to run- so him being in the Gun every play is a waste

FlabLoser
04-01-2013, 02:22 PM
It looks like our best offensive talent is at TE. Might also be a way to get them in the game more.

msstate7
04-01-2013, 02:38 PM
When under center you think we'll see more Robinson or Perkins?

FlabLoser
04-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Perkins is the #1 guy, no question.

I'd like to see our own pocket Hercules, Josh Robinson get some quality time.

And I am interested to see this Milton that is supposed to be in beast mode throughout spring practice.

ComradeDawg
04-01-2013, 02:53 PM
It looks like our best offensive talent is at TE. Might also be a way to get them in the game more.

Well, I hope your wrong. I cant believe that dak, perkins, bumphis and that freshman athlete recruit we got away from the bears aren't the best talent we got. If TE really is our best offense, we got problems bigger than I thought.

FlabLoser
04-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Our WRs are unproven. Our TEs are good. Our RBs are good. Its about Dan structuring the offense to fit his talent.

msstate7
04-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Well, I hope your wrong. I cant believe that dak, perkins, bumphis and that freshman athlete recruit we got away from the bears aren't the best talent we got. If TE really is our best offense, we got problems bigger than I thought.

Malcolm Johnson and Perkins (receiving, not rushing) are our biggest mismatches. We didnt use either enough last year. If we could run effective screens, Perkins would be near impossible to stop.

bulldawg28
04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Malcolm Johnson and Perkins (receiving, not rushing) are our biggest mismatches. We didnt use either enough last year. If we could run effective screens, Perkins would be near impossible to stop.

Definitely true.

hacker
04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
is it ****in' football season yet?

**** shit piss tits I GOT DIAMOND NUTS

end bad word filter test.

hacker
04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
is it ****in' football season yet?

**** shit piss tits I GOT DIAMOND NUTS

end bad word filter test.

wow, we can be big boys over here!

hacker
04-01-2013, 04:59 PM
wow, we can be big boys over here!

bunt

BogeyGolfer
04-01-2013, 07:34 PM
and Morrow needs to me more aggressive off the line of scrimmage...We really need him to step up this year and make quality blocks in the running game and run better routes....

Political Hack
04-01-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm just ready to see a WR catch the ball and run after the catch. Outside of Bump, it's been few and far between.

Political Hack
04-01-2013, 07:38 PM
and yeah Bogey, JRob is a stud and will be great with more touches. he's a home run threat and needs to touch the ball 10 times a game.

FlabLoser
04-01-2013, 07:41 PM
I want to see Tubby be our Dexter McCluster. Catch and run and run some more. Home run threat.

MitchD24
04-01-2013, 08:05 PM
I think everybody has labeled Tubby as our version of McCluster.. Everybody sees it and knows it has a possibility but we just haven't took that approach for whatever reason