PDA

View Full Version : What's your tequila?

PassInterference
04-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Gonna be margaritas tonight. Not the sugar-filled mixer shit. Tequila, triple sec, ice, lime squeeze.

Best thing that ever happened to my margaritas was when a friend told me to quit buying Jose Curevo (kinda like when somebody told me to quit buying Baccardi & Captain for rum).

I've tried 4-5 kinds and right now 1800 is my favorite. I'm sure there is better out there. I haven't sampled a lot.

BTW, I've tried Grand Marnier and Contreau in place of the triple sec. I find that going premium for a minor ingredeint in a cocktail isn't a big deal.

PassInterference
04-04-2014, 11:39 PM
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/fish/mediagallery/files/2013/08/533.jpg

You guys all drink Jose? Shirley Knott.

Maybe you are watching Abraham Lincoln Vampire Killer, which is just as good.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Titos only.

BeastMan
04-05-2014, 09:09 AM
I like gold tequila for margaritas. I try different brands. I highly recommend this combo (tequila, 1 table spoon agave nectar, liberal squirts of pompei key lime juice). It's only 3 ingredients and fantastic. This was the first time I had this tequila and it was fantastic. Only $22 a bottle. There are multiple different kinds of agave nectar. Don't get "light agave nectar". It has no taste. Agave in the Raw has been my favorite so far.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9d6650e8.jpg

Political Hack
04-05-2014, 09:35 AM
shooter, patron.

margarita, whatever fat mamas puts in them.

Barking 13
04-05-2014, 09:57 AM
shooters: I don't even know the name of it.. my Mexican restaurant buddy brings it from his hometown in Jalisco.. real special.. like grampaw's aged home brew..

Margaritas: any dark tequila with triple sec...

in a hurry / off the wall: Cuervo gold redi mix .. mixed with sweet tea is excellent....

BeastMan
04-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Quick note I forgot to mention on my margarita recipe: Mix the tequila and agave syrup first, before you put ice in the cup. Once those 2 ingredients are properly mixed, add ice and lime juice. If you do ice first, the agave nectar doesn't mix well and sits in the bottom of the cup.

Barking 13
04-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Beast, where do you get that nectar?

BeastMan
04-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Beast, where do you get that nectar?

Kroger

DancingRabbit
04-05-2014, 03:08 PM
My favorite sipping tequila is El Tesoro anejo. Very smooth but flavorful.

You never see it in bars (but most liquor stores have it), so I usually get Patron or 1800 on the rare occasion I buy a shot.

DancingRabbit
04-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Titos only.

Never heard of Titos tequila, but Titos is my choice in vodka.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Shit I read it wrong. Tequila not vodka. My bad

bgdog
04-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Any time I ever drank tequila it was patron, don't know much about tequila. I know it is diverse as and talked about as much as we would talk about bourbons but I just personally don't know much about it.

Just out of curiosity what brand of Rum's did you start drinking after bacardi and captain morgans? I know that just like bourbon or craft beer there is a ton of variety and different tasting notes in rum but besides keeping my liquor cabinet stocked with sailor jerry's I don't know much about rum either.

PassInterference
04-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Here is info about different styles of tequila.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tequila#Types

I prefer repasodos. But I've never had an anejo. I suspect I'd love an anejo.

Rum...

El Dorado is fantastic. It comes in different years...like 3, 8, 12, 15, 20(?). Just pay up as much as you want and El Dorado might become your favorite rum. The 15 is $40-45 and will make you cuss the day you though Baccardi was good. El Dorado vs Baccardi is like Mugshots vs Krystals.

It is a crime that Baccardi calls itself rum. A buddy that used to work in the business told me there is no standard for what "rum" is. He says that Baccardi is just rum-flavored vodka. (Vodka matures very quickly and rum doesn't)

At the very least, try Cruzan. It is decent and it is real rum.

For other readers....

Instead of Captain, get Sailor Jerry. It is 90 proof and fairly smooth. And not expensive at all. It is by far the best bang/buck rum out there. I like it on the rocks and I like it with diet coke.

So yeah, bgdog, Sailor Jerry is pretty good. It puts Captain to shame. But do yourself a favor and try whatever year El Dorado you want to pay up for.

Barking 13
04-05-2014, 11:38 PM
Extra A?ejo ("extra aged" or "ultra aged"): aged a minimum of three years in oak barrels, this category was established in March 2006.

This must be what I've got...

fishwater99
04-07-2014, 01:26 PM
2 parts Patron Silver
1 part Triple Sec
1 part Orange liquor(Patron Citronge, Grand Marnier or Contreau)
Squeeze of Agave Nectar
fresh line juice
splash of sprite
Serve over ice

Give the wife or girlfriend two or three of these and they will drop their panties..