PDA

View Full Version : Beastman and you other marsh/brackish water guys. Line question.

State82
02-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Do y'all mix up line types with your different combos or do you go with braid for the majority of your applications. I imagine you go with braid on spinning reels but what about baitcasters in the marsh? I'm a baitcast guy 99% of the time, even in the marsh. My only braid applications are with frogs/toads for bass in heavy vegetation and sometimes the main line on a Carolina rig. I don't really like the stuff but there is no way I'm throwing frogs/toads without it. Also, are you going with a mono/fluorocarbon leader when you are using braid or just tie straight to the hook/lure? I've always been in a quandry about that. When I used to fish some of the B.A.S.S. Elite series tourneys as an amateur/co-angler when they used to be a pro-am format, I asked Shaw Grigsby about that one time and he said that defeats the purpose of using braid in the first place. Now, he may have been referring to using it on topwater, which obviously would be true, but not sure about subsurface applications. I took it to mean he would never use a leader even if flipping/pitching with braid.

SpeckleDawg
02-07-2014, 09:02 PM
I fish 10-12lbmono on all but a couple of my rigs. I mostly fish for speckled trout, but I have caught 50lb drum on that as well. When I am in the marsh, specifically fishing for reds, I often use a reel with 50lb braid. I'm usually a little weird about using braid, because I feel like the trout can see it, but reds don't seem to care at all. I've also caught quite a few bass in the marsh on that braid. If I'm using braid anywhere other than red fishing, I like a fluoro leader.

Anyway, I use braid/mono/fluoro whenever I feel necessary. That probably didn't answer your questions at all, but I'm enjoying the Turbo Dogs tonight.