PDA

View Full Version : Grilling New York Strips

FlabLoser
01-10-2014, 11:56 AM
OK, I'm gonna try some steaks on my new infrared grill. I've never cooked steaks on one of these. I've got some New York Strips.

Let's hear your ideas on this. Go.

WeWillScrewItUp
01-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Let us know how it goes. I have been eyeing one of the infrared grills for a while now. Just can't decide on it or not.

FISHDAWG
01-10-2014, 03:16 PM
very curious myself about the taste

BeastMan
01-10-2014, 03:25 PM
We will need pics for sure

FlabLoser
01-10-2014, 03:58 PM
I've only cooked burgers and chicken on it so far. In charcoal grills, chicken always cooked very unevenly for me. I find the infrared gives me much better control over the temperature and cooking speed. The chicken I cooked was the best I ever made. Grill flavor, char marks, but cooked evenly and juicy throughout.

Barking 13
01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
I've only cooked burgers and chicken on it so far. In charcoal grills, chicken always cooked very unevenly for me. I find the infrared gives me much better control over the temperature and cooking speed. The chicken I cooked was the best I ever made. Grill flavor, char marks, but cooked evenly and juicy throughout.

did you use direct heat or indirect (i.e. turn off the burners directly under your chicken)

FlabLoser
01-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Direct. But at the same time, I use the burner away from the food for burning wood chips.

Barking 13
01-10-2014, 04:38 PM
as you've probably already read, I like to cook with indirect heat, but I guess that defeats the purpose of the infrared...

Political Hack
01-11-2014, 08:37 AM
cook me' yet Flab?

season them however you want to, but I'd go high heat when putting them on. about a minute and change on each side should give enough of a crust to keep the juices in and then dial back the heat and cook to whatever internal temp you want them.

sometimes I'll leave it on high heat and cook them quick and they come out just as good, but there's less margin for error when you do it that way. you've got to pull them during the right window.

FlabLoser
01-11-2014, 09:03 AM
Gonna try tonight. I was thinking the high heat method with 1 minute+ on each side.

BeastMan
01-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Go high heat and if you are only doing a minute, do 30 seconds and then quarter turn, then flip and repeat. Not that it matters but you'll get those fancy grill marks.

WeWillScrewItUp
01-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Go high heat and if you are only doing a minute, do 30 seconds and then quarter turn, then flip and repeat. Not that it matters but you'll get those fancy grill marks.

It's all about presentation right?

Goat Holder
01-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Do them just like any other steak (ie salt, pepper, maybe olive/canola oil) but when you flip them, add a slice of goat cheese and let it melt somewhat. Nothing special.

As far your cooking process, that's still a work in progress for me. I prefer direct heat for a couple of minutes, flip, then let smoke for another couple of minutes. I haven't tried the cast iron stuff yet, but I plan to now that I have an outdoor eye.

I don't eve know what an infrared grill is, so I can't help there. It's all the same shit, you're just trying to regulate heat. I saw a guy 'blanche' steaks before by smoking them (or oven) then searing them at the end. Haven't tried it yet.

BeastMan
01-11-2014, 11:15 AM
I laughed that Goat suggested goat cheese. Probably really good though.

FlabLoser
01-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Meat tenderizer applied to both sides and the meat sat about 30 minutes.

High heat, about a minute on one side, flip, and soy sauce on the seared side that is now up. 2-3 minutes later, flip and soy sauce again. Turned the heat down let the soy sauce settle in a short bit and took them off.

They came out medium instead of medium rare. The weather was chilly and I was unsure about cooking times on this new grill. Not bad. Still very juicy because of the high heat cooking method.

Super flavor. The soy sauce thing is a recipe passed down from a Columbus steakhouse from decades ago. I would have never though about soy sauce on steak, but it is fantastic.

Gonna do this again real soon.

Barking 13
01-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Old Hickory?

FlabLoser
01-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Old Hickory?

Yes.

Political Hack
01-12-2014, 09:24 AM
nice. I've gotten to the point I can do mine on high heat and pull the. at the right time with my grill, but I've had it for a while. I know the hot spots, etc... I will say that's my only disappointment with the infrared. I didn't expect it to have a hot spot and a cool spot, but it does. I cook shrimp, fish, veggies, etc... on one side and beef on the other though so it's worked out ok.

I did the ribeyes in a cat iron skillets last night. weather was bad outside and was at a friends house. worked out well.

as far as marinades go, and this will sound disgusting but it's not, I sometimes use butter milk and dales. the butter milk breaks down the enzymes in the steak and you can cut it with a fork. can't leave it in over night or anything though because it'll drain all the blood out.

FlabLoser
01-12-2014, 09:34 AM
I think there are no hotspots as long as all those perferated holes are clear. Mine started to cook a little bit more unevenly as gunk has built up below the grates. I need to go out there and scrape it.

Oh I also put a handful of shredded mesquite chips on one of the burners.

Political Hack
01-12-2014, 10:12 AM
milk as a marinade... never looked it up before but this has some good info on why milk/buttermilk is good to use.

http://allrecipes.com/howto/marinating-meats/

WeWillScrewItUp
01-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Anytime I fry deer I always marinate it in milk. It helps to tenderize and also pulls some of the game flavor out that a lot of people don't like.

Goat Holder
01-13-2014, 11:39 AM
I do the same. I do it even if I'm grilling them instead of frying.