PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guys: Any word on a fish kill?

BeastMan
01-08-2014, 03:55 PM
I've been keeping a close eye on it and haven't heard a report of even dead mullet anywhere. What's the latest? If we dodged a fish kill it must not have been by too much.

Barking 13
01-08-2014, 04:49 PM
off topic, but there's a shad kill going on at Pickwick.. which is a good thing...

BeastMan
01-08-2014, 05:16 PM
off topic, but there's a shad kill going on at Pickwick.. which is a good thing...

Dumb question: why is a baitfish kill a good thing?

SpeckleDawg
01-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Surprisingly, I did not hear of or see any evidence of a fish kill. Good thing it's starting to warm up a little tomorrow. Several days of those extreme lows would probably do it.

Barking 13
01-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Dumb question: why is a baitfish kill a good thing?

because it's a cycle of nature. years (like the last four) that don't have a shad kill tend to produce an ovepopulation of baitfish, which in turn makes the fishing harder because of the lack of competition for food. I mean, a fish is not going to chase a lure if all he has to do is lay there and open his mouth and let the baitfish swim in. The last couple years at Pickwick, in the early fall, the shad were so thick you could almost walk on them, and the fishing has suffered. Now with all that food the fish get fat and lazy, but when there is less food for them, they will tend to go after a lure more...

make sense?

BeastMan
01-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Perfect sense. I did preface with dumb question though lol