PDA

View Full Version : OT: Truck tires

Vetdawg32
12-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Looking for a little help from people more in the know about tires than myself.

I have a 2011 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 with 54k miles. The tires I have now are the same ones in rolled off the line with.

I would say 80% of my driving is on highways and city roads while the other 20% is on dirt and gravel roads at the deer camp. They are fairly well maintained logging roads.

I was looking at all-terrain tires but there are a million options it seems and I'm not sure which brands to gravitate towards and which ones to avoid.

The truck came with Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts. Size P265/65R18.

Any advice is appreciated.

DawgInMemphis
12-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Bridgestone, Goodyear, Michelin, and Yokohama are your best bets as far as quality goes IMO. I've also had good experiences with Toyo.

Drugdog
12-20-2013, 01:06 PM
My brother used to own a tire store that I worked during the summers. My favorite brand is BF Goodrich. They have a nice all terrain tire. Stay away from Wal Mart tires. My wife bought me Goodyears from Walmart for my Jeep and I found out they were not really Goodyear tires. Name only.
Stick with name brand.

Political Hack
12-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I bought my truck with Mickey Thompsons on it. they're nice.

Bubb Rubb
12-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Looking for a little help from people more in the know about tires than myself.

I have a 2011 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 with 54k miles. The tires I have now are the same ones in rolled off the line with.

I would say 80% of my driving is on highways and city roads while the other 20% is on dirt and gravel roads at the deer camp. They are fairly well maintained logging roads.

I was looking at all-terrain tires but there are a million options it seems and I'm not sure which brands to gravitate towards and which ones to avoid.

The truck came with Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts. Size P265/65R18.

Any advice is appreciated.

I was going to recommend the Duelers. When you factor cost in with everything else, those are pretty good. They hold up well.

EngineerDawg
12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
If you want more tread for off-road go Toyo MT. A buddy of mine had a 2010 z71 and got 90,000 out of his set. Ran nitrogen and kept them rotated + front end aligned.

If you want to stay with all-terrains I would go with nitto or toyo. I have a set of nitto terra grapplers on my truck and have been pleased with them.

RougeDawg
12-20-2013, 01:49 PM
I had some Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs on my last truck and they were pretty good. Had them on a 2 wheel drive but could drive in places that would normally require a 4 wheel drive truck. They have nice tread if you will be off road on nasty stuff, but do hum a bit on the interatate. Nothing loud that you won't get used to, but it's somewhat noticeable at first.

They have one series that has a little less agressive tread that may be better for you. I was happy with the Goodyear.

Barking 13
12-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Cooper tires.. Made in Tupelo... I have the Discoverer HT's on my SportTrak and Trailblazer. Of course, I don't really do any off road stuff, but they do fine on gravel and maintained "paths".. just wouldn't want to go mud ridin' with 'em.

Where'sWaldo
12-20-2013, 03:04 PM
From what I've heard there is a great place in South Panola to get discounted tires. I forget the name off the top of my head.

MaroonBandAlum
12-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Cooper tires.. Made in Tupelo... I have the Discoverer HT's on my SportTrak and Trailblazer. Of course, I don't really do any off road stuff, but they do fine on gravel and maintained "paths".. just wouldn't want to go mud ridin' with 'em.

I second the Coopers. I've got a set of Discoverer AT/3's on my truck. Great tires with good grip, even wear, and a quiet ride. They also have a 55,000 mile warranty vs 50,000 mile warranty other brands offer.

Political Hack
12-20-2013, 03:30 PM
From what I've heard there is a great place in South Panola to get discounted tires. I forget the name off the top of my head.

well played.

Political Hack
12-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Cooper bought out Armstrong Tire after Armstrong screwed all it's old employees, even those with retirement benefits. it's not really Coopers fault, but I still hold it against both companies and won't purchase from either.

bobcat91
12-20-2013, 03:53 PM
One more recommendation for Cooper. I have a set on all my vehicles including my Toyota 4Runner that is going on 500,000 miles.

scottycameron
12-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Is Kevin Fant on the board?

Seriously, General Grabber HTS is the best way to go according to most.

Vetdawg32
12-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely helps narrow down the search!

gravedigger
12-29-2013, 12:08 PM
You made he purchase yet? I work in a shop of a trucking company and they just said to stay away from non name brand foreign tires.

For very expensive tastes there is a tire out there with Kevlar in it and I thin its wrangler from Goodyear.

I don't have Kevlar tires but my shop lead man swears by the regular wranglers. Which I have.